With Preview Night two weeks away, we are on the eve of the official schedule to be released by Comic-Con International. If this is your first time to SDCC, each day’s schedule will get released starting tomorrow. Some of you that have Preview Night passes are wondering if it is worth attending. Whether you were gifted comp passes, have a media badge, or have volunteer passes, you might not know if Preview Night is a must or not. As the title suggests, Preview Night started as a casual evening preview of the showroom floor for the over eager attendee. With some venders still setting up their space, attendees were allowed a ‘sneak peak’ at the floor. For years, many people passed over Preview Night to just attend the regular days. But like everything else, the scarcity mentality has inflated to included Preview Night. Now, experiencing Preview Night is about as crowded as attending the show on a regular Thursday or maybe Friday- which is crowded. Not as bad a Saturday but it seems like it’s getting there. The need to attend Preview Night will vary depending on your purpose to go to the show. Here are a few reasons to consider:
- If you have a Preview Night pass, this is the time to pick up your badge. If you wait till Thursday, you will be stuck in line considerably longer and might miss something important on Thursday morning.
- If you are a new blog, website, have a new Youtube channel, or trying to build a social media following, then you should be posting pics and reveals from Preview Night.
- After reviewing the Thursday programming schedule (releases tomorrow), you may decide that there are some important panels to attend on Thursday morning. Doing Preview Night will give you an idea of the floor so you can go straight to a panel on Thursday morning. This is the best time to attend panels since a majority of people are wanting to check out the floor first. The showroom floor is like a moth to the flame- most can’t resist checking it out first thing on Thursday. Not everyone goes to panels but EVERYONE goes to the Exhibit floor.
- If you are a hardcore collector, Preview Night is the best time to get a Comic-Con Exclusive. Not all will be available so do your research. As soon as the doors open, head straight to the booth to get what you want.
- The only programming offered is in Ballroom 20. This year there will be screenings of Supergirl, Blindspot (NBC), Lucifer (Fox), and Containment (CW). All these shows will be on air soon so it’s up to you if it’s worth sacrificing a night for it. The lines form mid day and is relatively not difficult to get into.
- If you are a photographer, this is also the best time to take your pics. It’s still crowded but a little better than the other days if you are trying to get clean photos. This is especially important for some of the bigger displays.
- After reviewing the signing schedule and giveaway promotions that some of the studios/companies advertise, this would be a good time to map out the floor in preparation of the rest of the week.
- In general, there is less cosplay on Preview Night.
Overall, Preview Night isn’t anything that you can’t see sometime later in the show. If there is an Offsite Event or you want to meet up with friends, then this might be the night to do it. If you are a casual attender and don’t have any hardcore agendas than skip Preview Night and enjoy the Gaslamp nightlife. In contrast, if every second counts in your Comic-Con experience then plan to include it. Fans start to line as early as the mid-afternoon for the 6:00 opening- but casual fans can just stroll in at little after 6 (FYI, they will open the floor a few minutes early if the vendors are ready). Personally, I have enjoyed Preview Night over the years. It’s the only time I don’t feel the pressure that I should be standing in line somewhere and I can just enjoy the floor. Hope this was helpful and please let me know if you have any other questions and leave a comment of what you think about Preview Night. See you there!
Check out the Supergirl trailer below and read more ‘Tip of the Day’ post.