I know what you might be thinking…
Do you really need to do a post on dating at Comic-Con?! Is it really necessary?! The answer; no not really. While most of you don’t go to Comic-Con to specifically find a mate, we all still know that dating as a nerd is hard no matter what planet you are from. Perhaps Comic-Con is the place for you to make a connection with someone. However, between buying exclusives, rushing to get to Hall H, or hunting celebrities around, there is little time to come up with a strategy for finding a date at Comic-Con. Often, you will meet someone interesting but they soon disappear in the sea of nerds- never to be seen again. So let’s take a break from the ‘serious’ strategy tips and have a little fun with this one. In fact, some good friends of mine claim that Comic-Con had a BIG part in them getting together. You never know where a chance encounter might lead. If anything you might make a new life long nerdy friend- which is better than any exclusive money can buy 🙂
My advice to the Guys
- The Prime Directive: Unless you are cosplaying as a certain Minecraft character, don’t be a creeper. Try not to stare, don’t stand too close, never touch, and know when to walk away.
- Natural Selection: Breaking into a conversation or starting a conversation is hard. Do your best ‘Sherlock’ and quickly find common ground. Whether it’s a nerdy T-shirt or cool piece of swag, start off with an interest you share. If you are in line for a panel, this is a perfect place to make a connection.
- Wonder Twins: If you and her have the same cosplay theme, this is a great opportunity to talk about your costumes. You might want to suggest walking together for a little bit for better photo ops and give ya’ll some time to get to know each other.
- Confidence is Your Super Power: You might not have Henry Cavill’s looks, but confidence will help you be more powerful than a locomotive. Eye contact, smiling, and asking interesting questions will go a LONG way. If you don’t believe you should be standing there in front of her, she won’t either.
- Her Kryptonite is Humor: The easiest way to make a girl relax is laughter. In the brief few minutes you have to make a good impression, tell a great celebrity encounter story or a Hall H moment- anything that will get her smiling. We all just want to be happy after all so introducing humor will at least keep the conversation going until…
- Timing is Everything: If you are going to ask her to hang out later, wait till the end of the conversation, ask her, then make your graceful exit- regardless of what she says. NEVER make her feel pressured or uncomfortable. If she accepts, give her your info then bounce. Ask her to meet up somewhere very public- better yet, add a few friends to make it a group thing.
- She has the Power: Give her your number and don’t ask for take her’s unless she offers it. Give her as many escape routes as possible. A nerd is always a gentleman. Treat her graciously regardless of her response.
- Jedi Mind Tricks: Actually, there are no tricks. Keep your interactions honest, real, and truthful. Put your best nerd forward while not deceiving or being creeping.
My Advice to the Girls
- Scruffy Looking, Nerf Herder: It’s hard for guys to generate a conversation with a complete stranger. First impressions may not tell the whole story. Give a guy 20 minutes or so before jumping to warp.
- Deflector Shields: A guy risks a lot by trying to approach girl, so if your shields are up then it may spook him away. I know we all tend to be a little introverted, but don’t let shyness make it seem like you are not interested.
- Super-Friends: Being friends is awesome! It might not be a ‘love connection’ but it might be a ‘nerd connection’. He will be fine with hanging out as friends.
- Your Turn: Feel free to take the initiative to hang out later. He might be too shy to ask and your suggestion might be all he needs. The easiest and safest thing to do is invite him into line with you for a later panel or walk the exhibit floor. You get to nerd out over your favorite thing and get to know each other.
- Level Up: This is from the heart. Don’t compare your insides with someone else’s outsides. I know this is hard at Comic-Con with a lot of Slave Leia’s and Sailor Moons bouncing around. Our nerd bros want more than just looks but smarts, humor, and a sense of adventure. Confidence goes a long way for you ladies as well.
- Be safe, be safe, and be safe
Well I hope this got you thinking about the possibilities. I know most of you don’t go to Comic-Con with the intention of meeting someone, but you never know what might happen. Personally, I don’t think there is anything wrong with making a goal to meet someone special while your there. There is no better place to meet someone with the same background, passion, goals, and fandom than at SDCC. However, like getting that key autograph, you have to be intentional, play it smart, and take risks. Risk ALWAYS leads to a better place in life. Sometimes it’s not pleasant but it’s the only road to finding relationship happiness. Thanks for indulging this crazy Tip of the Day- let me know what you think about dating at Comic-Con and if you have had good/bad experiences with it there. Also, I know this is just from a ‘straight’ perspective so feel free to comment with your LGBT tips. Thanks all and good luck!
Check out my past Tip of the Day posts.